Liaison Bureau – Network of International Commissions and Transboundary Basin Organizations
Voina, Romania, 27 – 29 May 2004
The first Liaison Bureau – Network of International Commissions and Transboundary Basin Organizations, was held in Voina, Romania, 27 – 29 May 2004. “Apele Romane” National Administration, as Secretariat of CEE NBO, co-organized the event together with the Romanian Ministry of Environment and Water Management and the International Office of Water. Also the Arges-Vedea River Basin Directorate has given large support from financial point of view.
There were about 30 participants from Austria, Bulgaria, Canada, Ciad, Congo, France, Hungary, Japan, Kenya, Lesotho, Morocco, Poland and Romania.
Voina is located at about 160 km from Bucharest in a beautiful mountain landscape. The program was mainly focused on :
- the preparation of the session on the implementation of the European Water Framework Directive in transboundary river basins, to be held during the « INBO-EUROPE » Conference on 27 and 28 September 2004 in Krakow (Poland), at the invitation of the Polish Authorities,
- the organization of the first General Assembly of the Network of International Commissions and Transboundary Basin Organizations to be held from 1 to 5 November 2004 in Dakar (Senegal), at the invitation of the Organization for the Development of the Senegal River (OMVS) and of the African Network of Basin Organizations (ANBO),
- taking stock of the situation in the transboundary basins of the organizations represented in the Liaison Bureau.
Two issues that involves CEE NBO were discussed :
- The organization of the General Assembly of CEE NBO, which will be held on 26 September, in Krakow ;
- The EURO-INBO meeting – at the invitation of the Polish Authorities -, that will take place during 27 – 28 September. According to the discussion had at INBO General Assembly (Martinique/France, January 2004), we have established and agreed on the Ist EURO-INBO Conference. In Voina, we decided the participation of CEE NBO in this Conference and we agreed on the first draft program of the meeting.
On this occasion, the National Training Center for Water Management was inaugurated by
Mr. Florin Stadiu, the State Secretary in charge of Water. Romania considers that for UE Directives implementation, professional training of those working in the water management field is needed. In this respect, a new training center (for maximum 60 people) is being developed at Voina. This Center will be available for CEE NBO members.